Yields: 12 Servings
- Preheat oven to 350 F To make the cake:
- Butter a 9 or 10 inch springform pan and line the bottom with a round of wax paper or parchment paper. Butter the paper and dust with fine almond flour. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler with slightly simmering water (not boiling!), Cover until partially melted and then uncover and stir until completely smooth. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter. Add the granular sweetener and beat at med. High for 2 min.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating until well mixed
- Switch to low speed and add the chocolate, beat just until mixed
- Add the almond flour and beat just until, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not overmix. To make the icing:
- Clean the beaters.
- In a large bowl, add salt to the egg whites and beat the egg whites on high just until they hold a definite shape. Do not overbeat!
- Fold the egg whites into the batter ¼ at a time.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top
- Bake for 20 minutes and then lower the oven 325º and bake for another 40-50 minutes.
- Place a damp cloth on the counter and when the cake is done place it directly on the towel and let sit for 20 min.
- Remove the sides of the cake pan, place a wire rack over the top of the cake and carefullly turn it over
- Remove the bottom of the pan and the paper liner. Cover with another rack and turn the cake over again back onto the wire rack. Let cake completely cool.
- If the center is sunken in, make sure cake is cooled then carefully level off the top using a long, sharp knife, The cake is a bit fragile so do this carefully.
- Invert the cake onto a cake plate and surround with parchment paper to keep the frosting off the plate.
- In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan, scald the cream over medium heat until small bubbles form.
- Add the instant coffee and whisk until it dissolves. Then add the chocolate and stir occasionally for about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Let stand for about 15 minutes, stirring every so often, until it has slightly thickened and is at room temperature.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cake. Smooth the icing over the sides and around the cake.
- Remove the parchment paper carefully
- Optional decorate with shaved stevia sweetened shavings
- Let cake stand for a couple of hours so icing has time to solidify.
- Keeps at room temperature for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container.